MD Orthopedic Surgeon
1. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) since 1992.
2. Board Member of Washington State Orthopaedic Association (WSOA)
3. Washington State Medical Association (WSMA)
4. Whatcom County Medical Society (WCMS)
Dr. Michael Thorpe came to Whatcom County in 1988 from the University of Washington, taking over the practice of Dr. Milt Schayes, who first established this orthopedic surgery practice in 1968. Dr. Thorpe then recruited all of his partners, who together established Pacific Rim Orthopedic Surgeons in 2001.
Dr. Thorpe specializes in out-patient surgery and sports medicine, having been the Team Orthopedic Surgeon for Western Washington University since he arrived in 1988. Because he was a three-sport Division I college athlete, he understands the unique issues of the injured athlete. Knee, shoulder and hip problems dominate his practice, but he also performs routine foot and hand surgery, and emphasizes non-operative care of all problems, if applicable. He received the Patient's Choice Award in 2011 and Washington State's Best Doctors Award in 2010 and 2013.
In 2006 Dr. Thorpe developed the first out-patient joint replacement program in Washington at Pacific Rim Out-Patient Surgery Center as an alternative to hospitalization for the younger, healthier patients who wish to have their hip, knee or shoulder replacement utilizing a one-night stay and home therapy.
Dr. Thorpe and his wife, Sonja, have raised their five children in Bellingham, and are proud to claim Whatcom County as their home.
1. Residency in Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Washington
2. Internship in Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Washington
3. Medical School at the University of Iowa
1. Pacific Rim Outpatient Surgery Center
2. Peace Health St. Joseph Medical Center
3. Bellingham Surgical Center
1. Orthopedic Surgery & Sports Medicine
2. Sports Medicine – WWU Team Orthopedic Surgeon
3. Joint Replacements – Inpatient & Outpatient
4. General Orthopedics – Knees, Hips, Shoulders, Elbows, Feet, CTS, Trigger Finger
5. Arthroscopic Surgery
American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons
State of Washington